At any given time, your HBA is working on more than 100 complex issues – and doing its utmost to save members money – in areas including the tax code, federal housing programs, environmental laws, building codes, OSHA, building materials, qualified residential mortgages, residential appraisals and many others.
Such issues can severely impact our industry; a single win can save builders thousands of dollars on every home they build. Likewise, a single loss can cost builders thousands of dollars on every home they build.
Below is a list of some of the more significant advocacy victories NAHB has achieved recently in terms of monetary impact. Please note that the dollar values below are based on averages across the industry and that these numbers do not necessarily apply in all areas of the country.
- NAHB challenge to EPA stormwater regulations saved builders $1,970 on each home built.
- NAHB advocacy on form 1099 reporting requirements saved each member $230 per year.
- NAHB saved Remodelers $260 per room on lead testing requirement.
- Flood insurance victory will preserve 10,100 new home sales in 2013.
- Fire sprinkler victories will save $6,316 per home in some areas in 2013.
- Supreme Court win could save $200,000 for those seeking wetlands permits.
- Higher FHA loan limit saved 6,300 new home sales in 2012.
- Elimination of visitability porch requirement will save $1,350 per home.